Monday 7 March 2011

The Weekend

Whether you are turning fifty or five, tears seem to be inevitable.  In our case, turning five brought tears to not only the birthday girl, but also some of her guests. It seemed that the noise was just too much...too much fun, too much shouting, running and partying....at fifty, these are things we want to be doing, not saying, " please can you quiet down, I want silence" like Zelda did at the table while eating cake.

Friday was Christmas all over again. I wrapped what seemed like hundreds of presents for Zeldas birthday. Presents arrived from Australia, Scotland and England. I hid them in the garage so little fingers could not find them.

Saturday was spent coloring, cutting and assembling paper foxes, owls and snakes from the story of the Gruffalo. At 4pm I went over to the theater to decorate the room that the party was to take place in after the play on Sunday. I spent an hour and a half setting up the games area, the table for eating cake and the adult sitting space. I hung banners, snakes and a large game of pin the wart on the Gruffalo. I was very satisfied with the finished product. The room looked great.

Sunday morning Zelda crept into our bedroom and we gave her lots of birthday snuggles. I realized though that she was not actually born until ten PM, so even though it was her birthday, it was not her birthday yet. This thought felt very strange and caused a twinge in my belly! It all came clearly back to me. Our miracle baby was one minute inside and the next, outside.

Zelda dressed in her new purple dress, princess sash and crown and party shoes. We all went downstairs and opened presents. She was very happy with all of her gifts, but on in particular knocked her socks off, even if it wasn't a castle! She jumped for joy over the new doll house and four rooms of furnishings.

I jumped for joy too! I could not wait to get my hands on the furniture and start rearranging also...I was silenced to the side lines to be only a consultant and a decorator!  ( when she is asleep, then I will get my chance!)

12:30 rolled around and we piled into the car with the two cakes, balloons and music. WE were off to meet 8 girlfriends at the Gala theater. We took them to see the play of The Gruffalos Child. It was enjoyed by everyone, and thank goodness no one cried or screamed for "MOMMY" because they were scared.

Upstairs at 2:30 for the cake and games. All of the parents joined us at this point and it was a lovely rest of the afternoon. I of course was very stressed the entire time. I felt completely responsible for each and every childs emotional state, and if they were not happy, cranky, whiny or crying, I felt a pang inside.

By 3:30 it was time to clean up and say thank you to the guests and go home and collapse! Unfortunately we could not. Zelda received presents from all of the guests, so it was Christmas again for the second time that day. Everyone was so thoughtful and clearly spent a great deal of time on selecting or making the presents.

In the evening, Zelda exclaimed I am five now, I will put myself to sleep. And she did.

We both promptly put ourselves to bed right afterwards.

Celebrating and sharing with friends and family made this weekend just perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment