Monday 6 December 2010

Monday

Monsters, how do you tell your child that they really don't exist even when they are right there in her head? It is especially hard at 2:30am and again at 4:30am when they have reappeared to convince a child that it's perfectly ok to go back to bed, ALONE.

6am, I am bleary eyed from sharing night monsters with Zelda for the last week. She on the other hand, has walked into the bedroom, more chipper than I have seen her in days.  She shines with happiness, giggles with joy, is the essence of giddiness. Did my early a.m. session break her monster madness? Or it is youth, something I am starting to lack, thus getting up and out of bed this morning was extremely hard, but I did it. Not only did I do it, but I did it in -9 degree weather.

Today was a special day, our cat Lilly was joining us in England after being separated from the entire family since August. We were all looking forward to her arrival. I had plans for Lilly. She was going to learn to sleep in Zeldas room on her bed with her. This way Zelda would not be sleeping alone anymore. Ok, it isn't a sister or brother, but it is the closest thing she will ever get to one.

Step 1. close all bedroom doors except Zeldas.
Step 2.  Place fluffy quilt at bottom of Zeldas bed
Step 3. Introduce Lilly to the bed
Step 4. Give Lilly packet of CATNIP on Zeldas bed while Zelda is in it reading.
Step 5. Leave Lilly alone to zone out on bed without petting her.
Step 6. Leave a sleeping Zelda and Lilly in bed together.

Mission Accomplished...Now I only hope Lilly doesn't scare Zelda in the night.

We were expecting Lilly around noon. The phone rang and it was the courier, she was fuming mad and some how completely unaware that she had been driving in snow since she arrived in Durham. The rest of the day was spent helping this woman get out of the snow and ice mess she got herself stuck in. Well her GPS actually, as it said to go past the street where we actually live. Our street was ok to drive on, the one she was on, was not. I recruited flyer delivery men, neighbors, my husband and passer byes to push and give their piece of mind on what to do. In the end, the garage was called out to pull her free. I won't say more, as it still leaves me in disbelief her statement on the phone " Why didn't someone tell me there was snow?"

Yesterday I prepared my mothers recipe for Stuffed Cabbage. It is never a good idea to eat it the day you make it as it is infinitely better the next day or even a day after that. I can smell the sweet and tangy aroma drifting up the stairs to the room I am in. I can't wait to eat it. The perfect cold weather meal, stuffed cabbage and a glass of good red wine.

One last thing,  this evening around 4pm was picture perfect. The sky glowed hot pink in thick streaks like bacon. White fluffy borders and powder blue background. The saying Pink sky in morning, shepherds  warning, Pink sky at night shepherds delight means it will be a beautiful day tomorrow. I can't wait to see what the day brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment