Thursday 2 December 2010

Thursday

It feels like Ground Hog Day to me! No school again for Zelda, home stay for me. Window shades up, hold breath, stop. Inhale again and there was a  new addition to my snowy menagerie...long thin sparkly crystal icicles were hanging all in a row from the windows! First thought to mind was, I wonder how many people get killed by them in the winter time. Must keep Zelda far away.

My icicles were magical. I felt like a trapped princess in a castle made of ice, honestly I did, but like all fairy tales, mine had to end and I had to get up, get out of bed, take off my many layers and shower and  go do the emergency shopping. Our groceries that were ordered and to be delivered last night never came. TESCOS had cancelled all deliveries and to reschedule meant waiting another god knows how long.

In my pink waterproofs, pink fleece scarf, turquoise ski gloves, wellies and purple cashmere hat, given to me by a good friend, I was ready to face the heavy falling snow flakes that just started to come down as I started to leave the house. I took the bus into town and went to TESCOS. You would think the war was on again, there wasn't a stitch of fresh bread to found. The rotisserie was not working and the shelves were half empty. I stocked up on veggies, fruit, cheese, pasta, coffee, salmon, tea and mince. I filled three bags worth of groceries and then headed back to the bus and home. It was quite exciting to be shopping under these conditions. As I walked around I tried to figure out how I could feed us all for weeks on end with just the few ingredients I had collected. Stuffed cabbage came to mind, omelet, mac and cheese and soup.

With the snow still falling, Zelda and I went out into the garden to knock off the snow from the tables and chairs, to rearrange the furniture and to sled down our small hill. When we had tired of the back we went around to the front and cleaned off the car with our dust pans and brooms.  I felt really hip....I now knew what men feel like when they are outside washing their vehicle.

Another trip to another market closer by followed. I again filled up a couple of bags of goodies, butter, cake, chips, juice, yogurt and bagels. Home again, and this time it was snowing little balls again. I really think someone up there is a bit skitzo.

Zelda and I watched Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. played some games, watched some TV, and then we lit the candles, opened present number two and she ate her dinner. The day seemed to fly by.

Tomorrow, I will be going to the BALTIC- yea, our gig is on as the school is open. Zelda will hopefully be going to school, and if not staying with a friend for the day. The cat will not be arriving this weekend. She is in Surrey England and will get here as soon as the snow clears. She is happy and eating well. Everything has worked out perfectly.

Time check: 6:50, Zelda having a bath with daddy and I am having a moment by my self, thinking about how rich I am and I don't mean dollars and cents!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, this is truly an adventure. Glad you have your supplies and your warm clothes ( and your purple hat). Good for Lily. She has had some adventures of her own to tell her feline buddies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe how well you have adjusted to the cold snowy weather. We are shivering from the abnormal cold here in the usually sunny, warm desert of New Mexico. The weather is certainly getting more erratic. Hope the magic continues. It is heart warming to hear of your days with Zelda and Ian at the North Pole (oops, England). LOL
    Love,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely visual, sharing the magic with princess Zelda. of course all that shlepping would be quite difficult with her in tow but its nice that you haave those nice brits to help out. Be careful of lilly she could get lost in one of those snow drifts.. meow. love you all Mom

    ReplyDelete