Monday 6 December 2010

The Weekend

Saturday was the first day snow had not fallen. It was minus something degrees and bloody cold. We had a viewing for a house at 1:45, a birthday party to take Zelda and her friend to for 1pm and the driveway nor the car had been cleaned. Super mom to the rescue! Single handedly I put sausages in the oven and then went outside to shovel and scrape. Mid way through, I popped my head into the kitchen, turned the sausages and returned to my work outside. Zelda was inside watching CBBees, had already eaten her breakfast, wrapped the gift, made a card  and was dressed and ready to go to the party.

Everything went accordingly. We picked up the friend, we got to the party a bit late, but no problem. We then left and went straight to the viewing. What a disappointment. It was like something out of Stepford Wives, but worse, as it looked like a stepford ghetto. I looked as fast as I could and said good by to the realtor. It was worth seeing as we now know it is a definite no no place to live. I honestly would not live there if you gave me the property.

Evening routines followed as usual.

Sunday was sunny, warmer and a perfectly beautiful day. We were setting out early to go into town to see the Victorian style Holiday Fayre held on the green in front of the cathedral. Zelda rode ponies, petted the baby cows, lamb, goats and reindeer! I watched a cooking demo given by Dave from Master Chef. Afterwards, Zelda held a 14 year old snowy owl. It was amazing. She had no fear and the owl was ever so gentle. Later on we went into the cathedral to participate in a Carol service and then had snacks in the cloister cafe.

We walked home and Zelda immediately mentioned lighting the Hanuka candles. We lit them together this time and she even said the prayer with me! She was very proud that she had learned it by hearing me repeat it the past nights. Present number 5 was opened and it was a success. Bath, book and bed followed.

In the evening, a powerful feeling of unity came over me. I loved how Zelda was able to go from carol services in the cathedral to lighting Hanuka candles and saying a Hebrew prayer, all  in the span of a few hours.

The weekend was full. The weekend was busy. The weekend was all about being parents. It was perfect.

1 comment:

  1. Hey honey chile, lovely entry. No need for Ian to reply. Now, I know where the barn owl came from.

    ReplyDelete