Friday 17 December 2010

Thursday

6am, BBC radio comes on and I awake to news of heavy penalties for women who claim rape, Spain and its economic problems, Juliene blablabla and warnings of the Ice age commeth! So now here I sit at 6:25am looking at white covered windows above my head and listening to the falling hail and slush! Should I be scared? The world is upside down now too, both politically and physically.

No time to ponder the world, have to get moving. I take Zelda to school on my own this morning as the hubby has a Drs. appointment and then has to go to work. Zelda and I arrive a few minutes late, but there were a lot of kids late also due to the icy weather.

Off to town I go to pick up packages, deposit checks and order my Scottish Fore Rib Roast for Christmas lunch. Afterwards, I go directly home to investigate refunds for the train ticket we will not be using this weekend to Scotland as planned. The weather is too bad and we could easily get stuck up there. Too risky.

It turns out we can not get our money back, only change the date, at a ten pound fee per ticket. Now that we are staying here, we will enjoy the neighbors open house on Saturday, then the lighting of the tree at Durham Cathedral.

A quick bite, and I am off to get Zelda at school. We have been invited to our next door neighbors for tea/coffee and mince pies at 4:30.  I must again contrast living in France with living in Durham. I have met my neighbor once, and that was to ask her if she had by accident collected my recycling box with hers. A card arrives in our box with the invitation last Friday. In France, I think it took a few years before I was ever invited over to have a drink or a bite to eat at a neighbors. It is so relaxed and friendly here. NO matter what happens inside this country, people will always be kind and generous and friendly, making whatever bad occurs livable.

After our afternoon snack it was time to get ready for bath, books and bed. Zelda did her routine with her daddy, since he was home early and I prepared spaghetti with a pink trout, sherry and cream sauce.

The evening was calm and I felt very sleepy. Nine thirty rolled around and I could not keep my eyes open. Up to bed to dream sweet dreams.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, some of us Brits can be quite friendly at times. :)

    ReplyDelete