Tuesday 18 January 2011

Tuesday

I like to move it move it..repeat

6am wake up by the BBC followed by several gulps of coffee and then a  jump in the shower. I was informed it was going to to be a warm and sunny 9 degrees today...so I put on a new jeans smock style dress, leggings and boots and was ready to go on my go sees.

The zebra got Zelda dressed and I made lunch for my husband and a breakfast to go of bagels and banana to take to the park for Zelda and I. We all walked into town together and reached the park around 8:30am. The hard frost ruined my picnic plans, but we ate standing up and then decided to go to the school yard as soon as we could.

Zelda played with her friends while I had another real estate conversation with some of the moms. It seems everyone is looking to buy and sell right now. I found out that one of the moms grew up on the street that I was going to see a house on today. There are three other families at the school who live on this street currently. I was saving my excitement for the visit.

Does size matter? I made a list of the requirements versus the sacrifices for buying a house. Size used to matter, but I think location and quiet and outside space now matter more. I saw two homes. One big and one not as big. The big one was big, needed work and although it had a nice garden, and bordered some wooded golf course area, you could still hear the road. For that special serenade the price was very high. Across the road, in the same development, but further in and facing a wood, with river below it was the second house. It was smaller. It had a gorgeous backyard, decked terrace with wooden roof, wonderful vista from windows and it was quiet. It also has the potential for a loft addition, giving us a master bedroom en suite, making the house larger and spacious and lovely. For this smallness the price was also small. I Think I have been converted. It's not size that matters but what you do with it!

The rest of the afternoon has been devoted to planning.Where I will knock out a wall and make an open plan kitchen living dining area that leads to the terrace. The new loft with bath and then dreaming of us outside listening to animals, oh did I mention there are deer in the backyard wood?

I walked back from the visits and then into town to do some food shopping. Came home and did chores.

Two thirty arrived and I went back into town to get zelda. We went to the park for a half hour and then walked back with a friend and her mom part of the way. As we were walking and talking she asked me what it was that I do. I told her and she then told me her good friend is the head of Learning for Durham Museums. She is one of the moms at the school. She continued to say how they always look for volunteers and then assign them projects that fit what they want to do, followed by  her saying she will give me an introduction and her email to get in touch. The best part is that it is right next to Durham Cathedral! That could not be more perfect.

A bumpy evening ensued with Zelda and I arguing. We made up and I am not the worst mother in the world anymore. I am the best. Whew! I read her stories and snuggled her. I left her still awake so she could put her self to sleep. She is changing and growing up little by little, but it seems big. This is where size does matter.

Time check-7:53pm. Think I will sit in front of the fire and read a book, enjoy the silence and wait for the hubby to come home.

No comments:

Post a Comment