Sunday 23 January 2011

The Weekend

Why are weekends not the same as holidays and if holidays fall on weekends is it still just a weekend or a holiday weekend? Friday does not count as part of the weekend as it is a school day, yet school holidays fall on weekdays which are also school days when one is not on holiday. My daughter wants more holidays, or perhaps just longer weekends, don't we all!

Friday was a great day which ended in an even more perfect night. The day itself went along as usual with morning routines, school drop off, coffee with the husband, house work and job searches.

The afternoon brought with it a very nice plumber who could not help us with the leak in the house, but he was very friendly and did not mind that I called him out to the house to find that what I had described to him was described incorrectly, thus the problem was one he could not deal with. The groceries were then delivered by en even friendlier guy, and I did not know whether it would be appropriate to  meow after he called me  "pet" on his departure.

Friday is Zeldas late night at school. On my way to pick her up I ran into two friends within the span of 4 minutes. While getting Zelda ready to depart, one of her friends was also leaving so they waited for us to get ready and we shared the walk. On the way down the street another friend yelled to me from across the road and we had an air wave encounter. When I got home, I felt really high spirited. After less than 5 months, I am able to walk around and feel as though I have a real life here. One with relationships, activities, inspiration and hope. I am part of a community, a neighborhood and a city.

Putting Zelda to bed was a loving and moving experience. She wanted to go to sleep on her own, but not before giving me big hugs and kisses and saying I love you mommy I heart you, goodnight. I hope her willingness to fall asleep on her own continues, and it couldn't be more perfect a way to put your child to bed than to have those words spoken.

Saturday we woke up early as we were headed to the house we wanted to buy. We met the builder there and spent a good hour walking around the house and making plans. Zelda loved the house, her room and the fact that there are a family of barn owls living in the backyard trees. Even more impressive was the playground that we could walk to straight out from our wooden gate in the back and through a short cut through the fields. No roads involved.

The strangest part about the house is that after I had looked at it on my own, I could not find my favorite hat. I was sure I had seen it in the house in the hall, but when I looked for it, it was no where to be found. I looked for a few days and gave up. When we all went to see the house on Saturday, I walked into the hall and there on the radiator mantle was my hat! I guess I did see it in my hall after all?? If that's not saying something, then the next fact is. I knew there was a French woman who lived across the road, but in fact it is a French family with two twin girls only a couple years older than Zelda and it is not across the road, but next door! The have lived in America as well for many years. In all the houses in all of Durham, we have found the one French family right next door to the one we fell in love with. Zelda can now continue her language learning like a bilingual child.

An offer was made, and now we are waiting til next week to see if he will accept it. It depends on what he has to pay for the property he is buying. Fingers, toes, arms and legs crossed!

Today was a lovely Sunday filled with our usual Sunday habits; snuggling and lounging in bed as a threesome, big breakfast in the living room, ballet, dinner all together and games and books and bath.  I have three home decorating magazines to peruse for ideas while relaxing on the couch with a glass of wine.

Everything has been just the way I like it. Perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment