Monday 8 November 2010

Monday

4am and multiple cries for ..........."DADDY" rang through the house. I rolled over and thought, what a perfect day! 6am and the new radio/iPod player/alarm  thingy woke me up with British accents reporting the news on BBC radio, but still no "daddy" back in our bed. My husband was still anchored to Zelda in her single mini loft bed, pressed up against the wooden rail. I found him semi conscious, and in the fetal position. Love poured out of me for the two of them, and at the same time, I was so glad it wasn't me. I pushed the button on the coffee maid and waited for my family to join me in the big bed.

It was the start of a new school week, old routines, and a surprisingly easy morning in terms of getting Zelda dressed and ready to leave for school on time. All it took was the mention of flat pancakes that were not already prepared with nutella filling to get her moving fast as lightening.

The radio said it was going to be cold and stormy with gale force winds today, excellent news, I could wear my new furry cheetah scarf with matching hat and gloves! Zelda could wear her hot pink ones...we would be twins....sort of.

Every morning we walk-run-walk-run-down the hill, through the woods, and over the bridge that crosses the River Wear. This morning most of the golden, purple, yellowy orange and red leaves had disappeared from most of my trees. I loved the new look. Huge spindly naked trees in the distance lined the backdrop of the footpaths and fields. They were like modern dancers performing a winter ballet. All the rest of the way to Zeldas' school I was happy and filled with delight that winter was approaching. I stuck my tongue out to catch some of the rain.

As usual, after drop off, I went for a coffee with my husband at the university. We performed mundane rituals, like putting upcoming dates/events into the calender, discussing how dirty the house was and why I have not cleaned it in along time...because I am a relaxed person now, and planning dinner...omelet and salad.

9:30 am and we went our separate ways.  My happy feet took me into town, past the Edinburgh Woolen Mill shop and back again as my eyes spotted the sign..PURE CASHMERE 1/2 PRICE. Ohhh red, black, grey, pink, purple in cardigans and pullovers. I  had found the fallen fall leaves! Every color had one XS in stock and I stocked up. What could be more perfect than cashmere, and cashmere at half the price???

Next stop, TESCOS and then home. I walked up the two hills in the pouring rain with gale force winds. There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing, that's what I always say.

Home by 11:30am and I decided to attack the cleaning. I would keep warm and burn off more calories! Four toilets are just too many when you don't have a toilet maid! I made myself a tea bun with butter and a strong coffee. I returned to the toilets, the carpets, the floors and the kitchen surfaces. Two and half hours later my hands were now a mess, but at least my house wasn't.

2:30pm, dressed and set off to collect Zelda. The rain had stopped and the sky was stormy and angry looking, but the air was strangely warm. I arrived at 2:50 and chatted with some of the moms. It doesn't take a whole lot to make me feel happy after 10 years of living in the South of France and being miserable for so long. I was over the moon and all I did was talk to someone for 10 minutes! Sonia, the mom of a friend of Zeldas' said how she hates winter and how it makes her want to hibernate. I expressed how I loved the empty trees and how they reminded me of dancers or people, and her face lit up afterwards. She said she "will keep that image in her mind and that it made her feel happy." I guess it's just a case of the glass is half empty or half full .

Zelda and I went straight home as it started to rain. We took a detour to watch the ducks for a while down by the river. Tomorrow we will bring bread and feed them on our way to school. It usually takes us about forty-five minutes to walk home as we dawdle and play on the way. Today was no different and we had great fun.

Once home, Zelda watched a video and snuggled on my lap. I made her pasta with peas and ham. She practiced her letters and writing and then it was time for a bath, books and bed. She pretended to be an Indian Princess and wore her bath sheet around her body like a sari!

Time check.....8:30...glass of red in hand and fingers tapping away on the keyboard. Wind howling with heavy rain. Husband on his way home. A perfect day.

No comments:

Post a Comment