Wednesday 10 November 2010

Wednesday

6am wake-up to the BBC broadcast radio news. I felt like a young child on a snow day listening to NPR radio in my pajama in my parents bed. Funny that, because as we walked Zelda to school this morning, it snowed for approximately 2 minutes on our way down the hill. I must mention that I slept in flannel pajamas with a camisole underneath and a zebra patterned fleece robe on top!  I was so snugly, that it was hard to get out of bed, or was it the weight of my clothing?

Zelda, like me, slept in a fleece over her nightgown, she too had a difficult time waking up. When she did, she climbed into our bed, snuggled onto my lap and proclaimed "I am happy today, I will get dressed on time and I will not be grumpy!" The start of a perfect day, for us both.

We dressed, ate, left the house on time and got to school before the first bell sounded. We were all happy.

As usual, I had my coffee at the university with my husband. 9:30 we went our separate ways. He to teach, me to look at a potential property to buy. The street was beautiful, the area perfect, a wonderful large front garden, a nice sized woody back garden, but inside, what a dump! It needed a lot of work, and with the price tag as it was, no way could we consider buying it. The third floor, read attic, had two small angled rooms with sinks, designed for dwarfs, with hopefully with very good eyesight or they would nock their heads in at every turn. Next!

As I headed home, I stopped at Marks and Spencers for groceries. Had a lovely chat with an older woman on my way out. People love to talk to you here in the North. I just love it! I now had an even bouncier bounce in my step, for those who know me well, is this possible? I walked through the market square and up Claypath, down Claypath and then over the bridge. At this point, like every day when I cross this bridge, I get a giddy tingly feeling all over. I break out in goose bumps,. My mind races and I find it hard to put the feeling into words. Out in the near distance-oxymoron?, there sits Durham Cathedral and next to it the castle. Two amazing feats of architecture which command the not only the geographical space, but the space inside my heart and head. No matter what weather or light of day you view it in, it is truly amazing and a very powerful sight.

On this day, the snow disappeared and the sun came out with bright blue skies and no clouds. Just a cool crisp fresh air surrounded me on the bridge. I was so happy and that is all I could feel. Living in the North of England, having the privilege to live in such beautiful surroundings with lively weather and friendly people really makes me happy.

It has been a long time I now realize since I have felt happiness. Ten years in the south of France has been no "Picnique". Every time I cross that bridge I feel happy and I am reminded of how unhappy I truly was. That is all over now.

Time check 8:25, husband bringing up a glass of red to have in hand, Zelda fast asleep, me, enjoying a perfect day.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment