Tuesday 16 November 2010

Tuesday

woke up, got out of bed, dragged a hot water bottle across my head, ok...ok....I had to change a word in order not to be sued for plagiarism or worse.

This morning was the start of a very special day with high expectations. I had my first day of work at the BALTIC*, a very hip and dynamic contemporary art center. I had been taken on to be a volunteer in their Learning  department.  Like Zelda yesterday, I too had a similar episode in the morning about WHAT TO WEAR. In my case, to a volunteer job, in a hip and happening place with young adolescents as the target group I would be dealing with. Not to mention artists, educators, and oh hell I'll just say it... PEOPLE! It's been a while since I have worked with people...I am used to the 7 year old crowd! You know, rolling on the floor and behaving like animals type of behavior. What was I to do??? What was I to wear???

8:30 am, Ian and Zelda set off to go to school. The door bell rings 30 seconds after I close the door and make my good by kisses. " Look mommy,. look at the ice on the car!" I am dragged outside, in my still undecided outfit, to examine icicles hanging, dangling from the windows! I think to my self.....better leave an hour earlier, don't want to be late, and the trains just might be.

The streets were treacherously dangerous. I crept at grandma speed down the hill and then up the hill to the train station. By the time I arrived I was toasty and warm and happy I had escaped breaking a hip. Round trip ticket purchased, Durham/Newcastle and I was on my way. The train was about 15 minutes late, but the track faces south so I enjoyed a lovely warm sun filled rest on the platform chairs. I could have stayed there all day actually had I not had this appointment. Hmmm. maybe tomorrow!

10am we pulled into Newcastle. The trip took 13 minutes. Newcastle is an amazingly beautiful city with wide streets mixed with old medieval stone roads. It nestles on the River Tyne and has a fantastic water front. The BALTIC is situated right on the water front. One must cross the Millennium Bridge to get to the Gateshead side which is where the BALTIC sits. It is a very beautiful 20 minute walk from the station.

10:30 am I am sitting in the BALTIC cafe sipping a goldfish bowl sized cappuccino.

11am I go upstairs to start my day. I help Lucy set up the space and we go over what we will be doing with the children. While we wait, several other participants in the project we are working on show up. One is an artist and the other is a lecturer on Arab and British relations. The project we are working on is a project entitled Arab Artist, and is in its fourth and last year.

12pm and the students arrive. We sit down to a lovely Lebanese buffet meal before the program begins, getting everyone into the right mood!

12:30pm-2:30pm program in progress. Talks, animations, and work shop activities.

2:30pm and the students leave to return to school. We clean up and I go back to the station. On my way, I get myself lost in order to start to explore this new and intriguing city. It has recently been coined the London of the North.

I get back to Durham around 4pm and pick up Zelda. I feel totally elated and high. I am at one with myself in this type of environment. It feels good, after so many years to be back in a museum/gallery space.....place. I am once again taking out an old favorite item of clothing and wearing it again like it was just yesterday. It still fits, perfectly.
*http://www.balticmill.com/

3 comments:

  1. I wore my black leather pants tucked into my knee high black boots with a turquise turtle neck and fine knit long blueish round neck sweater that hung down to my thigh. A few bracelets, silver hanging earings and a silver and onyx Taxco mexican necklace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa, what an outfit for the pink panther. This new "job" sounds great. Can't wait to hear more.

    ReplyDelete