Sunday 28 November 2010

The Weekend

Snow, snow and yet more snow, and still more snow coming. I love it. I love the white crisp powdery not solid and not liquid substance. I love walking in it, lying down on top of it, pulling Zelda in a sled through it. I enjoy watching it fall in small specks and thick fat fluffy clumps, falling lightly or heavily so that my glasses get covered and I am snow blind.  I never wear a hat when it is snowing. I do not carry an umbrella like some. I walk under the shower of snow unadorned so that I get the full power of its intensity on top of  me.

The backyard has piles of snow on top of tables, chairs, trees and plants. The washing line looks like a sparkly spider web. Birds fly in to eat and take refuge. It's pure eye candy!

Snow makes me giddy. I can not be mad when it is snowing. I can not be sad when it is snowing. I can only be glad when it is snowing.

Last night at 1am in the morning my husband and I walked home from a friends dinner party. They live about 2 miles away. We walked all the way under the bright moon lit sky. It felt warm out. I felt safe.  The stars were magnificent and their light reflected on the snow covered streets below. I ran through a cemetery and I rolled on the ground. I was, possessed, for a small moment. Taken over by joy, wrapped in the warmth that the cold snow gives off. Memories of my childhood. It was perfect.

1 comment:

  1. I am in the process of booking my tickets to Vermont for 18 days in Feb/March. 22 years of 5 months of snow every year - I know exactly what you mean by the warmth of cold snow - to be blinded by sunlight on snow in an open meadow is the best kind of blindness there is.

    ReplyDelete