Sunday 14 November 2010

Sunday

Once again, the alarm went off at 6am. The house was very warm and as I did not feel chilled, I got up, went downstairs and made the coffee and strawberry milk drink for Zelda. Last night I was too lazy to prepare for Sunday mornings beverages, and all the begging in the world did not get anyone else to do it. No matter, Zelda happily volunteered to keep me company. Unfortunately, she got delayed or distracted by her many costumes and changed into a fairy by the time I had finished.

At 8:30 I sank deeply into the lavender scented bubble filled bath tub. It was heaven. The family were playing in the bedroom and I was relaxing.

Once wrinkled by the water, I departed and dressed and went downstairs to prepare a perfectly healthy breakfast. Sliced mango, melon, blueberries and strawberries arranged in a kind of Miro mobile graced the plates. Honey drizzled goats cheese sat beside it. Finally, whole wheat toast with butter and fresh orange juice.  Eating a good breakfast today of all days was very important. Zelda was having her first ballet lesson! It was from 1-2pm. We would not eat again until much later that day...in fact 4:30pm to be exact as it turned out.


First day jitters set in. We needed to leave in order to get to the class with out being late. Zelda was upstairs pulling out every costume, skirt and dress she could find, trying each one on in turn and then discarding it as
"not beautiful". Tears followed after each rejection. We both tried to talk to her and find out what was wrong. She was nervous and wanted to make a good impression. She finally settled on her black leggings with white tea shirt and a pink tulle skirt on top. We made it just in time!

Before we left, Zelda expressed that she wanted us to be with her in the class. Once we arrived and she saw that another girl in the class was from her school, she immediately settled in without a glance back in our direction.  I felt tears well up in my eyes. For the first time, I realized that she was not a little baby anymore, but a little girl. She re-emerged after one hour, smiling and pirouetting towards us. On her chest was a sticker for "good work", and she was very proud. Once home, we got a private demonstration. It  was perfect. She was perfect.

4:30 rolled around. After having a glass of Cava, we sat down to fillet of beef pan seared and accompanied by a mushroom and anchovy cream sauce, baked potato and broccoli. Zelda paid me the greatest compliment. "I love this dinner, you are a great cook and I love your food mommy". I could not believe my eyes, but she ate an entire fillet, a whole potato and all her broccoli.

The day was long, slow and well paced. We had a wonderful family day full of new experiences, both for Zelda and for us as parents. It was truly a perfect day!

1 comment: