Sunday 7 November 2010

Sunday

I have finally learned how to enjoy Sundays. All my life I have woken up early, raced out of bed, showered, ate and then kept myself busy with endless odds and ends. At the end of the day, I am exhausted, and no where near satisfied. I watched with jealously, annoyance and even resentment at how others relax, and all I could do was......do more! 

Today was a perfect day.....I was awakened by our daughter Zelda making pussy cat cries at 7:30am. She is 4 and a half years old. She then promptly demanded to make our coffees. We have a Coffee/tea maid in the bedroom. This is the most amazing invention, especially if you live in England and it is approaching winter. You never really have to leave the bed and you get a hot cup of perfectly brewed coffee....this is all part of my learning to relax, not just on Sundays, but everyday!  Coffee sugared and delivered, bedside in 2 minutes.

My husband read books to Zelda, while I, relaxed and read  a book of my own. Ok , so it was all about how not to have power struggles with your children...but still, it's a book, and quite a good one.

Next up, I showered, while breakfast was being prepared downstairs....toasted bagels, cream cheese, juice and a side of Radio 4....yummy. We all ate and then prepared to go out shopping.

In P.C. World, Zelda and I took in a film on a super huge TV screen while Ian shopped for gadgets that we needed in order to make our lives more fulfilling!..Next time I am going to suggest that they have fresh popcorn for our viewing pleasure!

After PC World, it was time for TESCO, an enormous super market that would leave even an expert slacker, I mean relaxer, jittery and high strung....2 hours later, a whining hungry and thirsty child, I was ready to go home, but I was still smiling, happy to be outside in the fall air, with sunshine in my eyes.

Ok, Lunch was supposed to be made by the time we arrived home, and now I am only about to start making it....Zelda by this time is repeating  "come see this mommy" over and over again, the groceries are still in the bags, the husband is connecting the electronic thingy and I have just put carrots and brussel sprouts on the stove to cook, and forgot to put water in the pot!

Fast forward 45 minutes.....table set, pork chops with sage and crackling cooked, champs potato....cooked, vegetables...saved and cooked, plates warmed, sherries in glasses, me...sitting on the couch relaxing, yep you heard it, relaxing with a sherry in my hand, food ready to be eaten, and Zelda performing Cinderella with her wooden puppet toys.

After dinner Zelda and hubby cleared the table, I loaded the dishwasher. Zelda carried in the desserts, chocolate sponge with blueberries and strawberries with double cream. I loaded the dishwasher. I ran the dishwasher. Dishes are still in the dishwasher.

Time check....8:40pm...me, glass of red in my hand, fingers tapping away on keyboard. Hubby downstairs preparing something to eat. Zelda, fast asleep in her bed......me again...happy....relaxed.......what a perfect day!

No comments:

Post a Comment