Monday 29 November 2010

Monday

6am, 6 more inches and it was still going strong. It has been 17 years since I have seen a large scale snow storm. This mornings snow, with its addition of  really loud thunder, made it the perfect storm. Zelda looked out of the window and described the sky as purple. There wasn't a glimmer of light anywhere. It really was just purple. Like a big bad bruise across the sky.

The radio was tuned to the local Newcastle radio station and we waited patiently for the half hourly school closing bulletin. Schools near to us were closed, but not ours! I put off getting Zelda dressed as long as possible before we would be late for school. Just as she finished getting dressed, there it was, St. Oswalds had been closed because the roads were too dangerous to drive on. I let out a loud scream of delight, but then realized it wasn't me, it was Zelda who should be happy.

I took a walk over to the medical center up the road. It was a glorious walk. The streets were full of snow, people were everywhere walking to school or work. It was just like any other normal day. Now that the snow had stopped falling the sky had actually turned a beautiful powder blue and the sun was out! I was happy that I actually felt sick so I could take this walk on my own. Ten minutes later and I was heading back to my house.

Ahhh I thought chicken soup is perfect for a day like today. I walked to the local Sainsbury near to the house and bought a chicken. I got it home and found that the people who own this house do not own a large soup pot, unless they took it with them to France. Change of plans, I would instead cook it slowly in a marmite. I stuffed it with limes, tomato, fresh whole chile,  and shallots. Under the breast skin I put butter and rosemary and lemon thyme sprigs. I put the bird onto a bed of chopped leeks, potatoes, limes, more chile and fresh herbs. Added some red wine and cooked it for two hours. The perfect cold weather meal.

Around Three Zelda and I made chocolate peanut butter cookies. The batter was so delicious we could not stop eating it. We were thus only able to make 20 cookies instead of ?????

As I write it is hailing out now. The door has just closed so my hubby must be home. It is 9:10pm.

Five fifteen my friend and her daughter came over. We played scrabble while the girls played dress-up. I made them pasta and was then rewarded with their version of a dessert....apples on a fork! Clever. I unfortunately went up stairs after they left and found apple bits and a fork in Zeldas bed. Not so clever, but cute all the same.

As far as Mondays go, this one has been pretty special. It has been a long time since I have spent daughter mother time with Zelda in a relaxing and fun way. It has been a long time since I have had a friend come over and just do normal friends things, like play a game, drink tea, chat, giggle and enjoy life all at the same time. It has been a while since I have heard the laughter of my daughter with a friend. No fighting, just pure perfect fun, for me and for her.

1 comment:

  1. Good to hear your voice, Leslie. Cherish those special moments. x

    ReplyDelete