Wednesday 24 November 2010

Wednesday


Sky light window at 23:03pm
What you are seeing is SNOW!!!! I am so happy that I bought a sledge today! I purchased my sleek black plastic top of the line sledge, with hand rails, and brakes this morning at approximately 10 am. The sun was shining, but earlier a few flakes had flown down to the ground, ( I swear)  albeit they did not stick, but so what. I wanted to be ready. I could smell snow. I could taste snow. I was thirsty. I was, I am, a New Yorker,  snow WAS on its way. The people in the streets, who I passed as I walked my 2 foot sledge home up the hills of Durham, looked at me queerly. Many made  a comment like " so you had some sledging today did ya?" or " you expecting snow?". Well, yes I was. I answered that I had been told that if you don't buy a sledge at the first sight of snow fall, there wont be any left. This was a scenario I could not face. Not after moving my daughter from sunny South of France, with the promise of snow and sledding!


This morning when the BBC radio alarm went off it was not talk, but music. I thus stayed in bed an extra half hour. Being that I and everyone else in the house was on the late side, I rushed into the shower and then dashed downstairs to start breakfast for us all. Upstairs, Zelda and Ian were sparing over getting dressed. I wont say who won. I will say that tomorrow will be different, for Zelda.

8:30am  and we are out the door. All bundled up against the wind and the chill. 8:34am and our student friend Lizzy, who has adopted us and we her, walked us to Zeldas school, so the morning was saved. We made it just in time for the bell. When Lizzie is around, Zelda dashes and leaps and jumps all the way down the hill and up the hill and happily makes her way without a dawdle to school.

No coffee as usual this morning. I was off to Tony and Guy. A quick hair cut which turned out perfect, took all of 30 minutes. Next stop realtor. Next stop sledge. Then home!

Zelda pick up as usual. Boot exchange. Bus home. Snuggle. Bath. Books. Bed. Dinner prepped..I was on a schedule.  I had a special Skype session planned for 9pm sharp.

Twice baked stuffed jacket potatoes, California burgers, that is a burger without a bun and fresh guacamole with chile on top, and rocket salad for dinner. A nice light red wine to go with it. Fueled up I was ready.

"Ready to skype?" showed up on the computer. Yes!

9 years had passed since I spoke to and saw my brother. He was in New Mexico spending Thanksgiving with my parents. I do not usually go in for all that Thanksgiving stuff. I really don't believe in it. I have always felt that it was not really an event to celebrate, since it was surrounded by disease, rape and the "overpowering" of an indigenous people, in order to get the "American dream". Today, as it happens, I was very thankful and this feeling of thankfulness just happened to coincide with the holiday, so, that made my day perfect. Thanksgiving will no longer hold memories and stories of nasty historical stuff, but the stuff that makes me happy. The stuff that makes families family. The stuff that says, I love my family.

Time check: 11:36. I am due downstairs. Hubby and I agreed to stop whatever we are doing and go to bed at 11:30. oops I am late!

This post is dedicated to my family. I love you where ever you are!











1 comment:

  1. I agree, what we learned about the pilgrims was *##! you are right.... the real spirit of Thanksgiving is just that...to be grateful. Bravo that you connected with your bro.

    ReplyDelete